The garage door industry is full of companies that do the job the right way and truly care about their customers, but there are scams in the industry that you want to try to avoid.
When your garage door breaks, you want it fixed quickly, but you do not want to overpay for the repairs. How can you avoid the scams ?
- Referrals from family and friends who have used a company and received good service.
- Community blogs and newsletters.
- Use yelp reviews and reviews on other social media sites.
- BBB reviews
- When considering a company, check and see if their company has a physical address and if that address really exists.
- Ask if they have a showroom that you can come to.
When the technician arrives:
- Is the technician driving a company vehicle ?
- Is the technician wearing a company uniform and or name badge ?
- Have the technician explain why a part needs to be replaced. If they try to scare you by saying your garage door might fall on you without this part being replaced, they might be selling you parts you do not need. They should be able to explain manufacturer recommendations for when to replace the parts.
- Have technician explain how the part works in the overall garage door system.
- Be clear on the parts and labor warranty and ask if the warranty is in writing.
- Make sure you will receive a detailed receipt showing all parts replaced.
At the end of the day your garage door company should want to be sure you are satisfied with the work that was performed and that the garage door and or opener are functioning properly. If you ask the appropriate questions and do research on the company, you should be able to find a company that will repair your door and or opener properly, at a fair price and provide a good warranty on the work they perform.